Get Started Now
HOW IT WORKS
Helping Injury Victims Since 1983
Slip and Fall Accident Lawsuits: Do You Have A Case?
Slip and fall accidents can occur when business owners or property managers fail to maintain safe conditions on their premises. After the accident, victims are subjected to many legal difficulties surrounding the circumstances. Without the proper lawyer in place, it can be emotionally stressful and taxing when filing an injury claim. If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident that was someone else’s negligence, a lawyer may be able to help get the money you deserve.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
- Wet or Uneven Surfaces
- Cluttered Floors
- Loose Floorboards
- Defective Sidewalks
- Parking Lot Potholes
- Poorly Constructed Staircases
- Torn Carpeting
- Recently Mopped or Waxed Floors
- Weather Conditions
- Improper Training – accidents often occur in the workplace, most notably the construction industry. Without proper training, employees are more vulnerable to getting injured at work.
- Nursing Home Neglect
- Improper Footwear
Hurt On Someone Else’s Property?
Slip and fall cases can be very tricky to prove. Therefore, many businesses and insurance companies attempt to minimize or deny claims. If you want to give yourself the best chance at recovering maximum compensation for your slip and fall injury, it is strongly recommended that you consult a slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.
Steps to Take Immediately After a Slip and Fall Accident
- Get medical attention
- Inspect the area where you fell
- Identify witnesses
- Follow necessary procedure
- Fill out a slip and fall accident report
- Notify a manager
- Take photos as soon as possible
Important Things to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
If you’ve been involved in a slip and fall accident…
If there were witnesses to your accident, write down their contact information and try to get a statement from them as soon as possible. Witnesses’ memories of the incident can diminish over time; obtaining a statement early will strengthen your case.
- Take photos of the accident scene and the hazard(s) that caused your fall. If you are too injured to do so, ask someone to take pictures for you. While people do not always carry a camera with us, remember that most modern cellphones are equipped with cameras.
- Keep a complete and accurate written record of all medical bills related to the fall to submit with your claim.
- If your accident was captured by a video surveillance camera, obtain a copy of the tape for your slip and fall lawyer. Beware the statute of limitations.
There are strict state laws that impose deadlines victims must meet to make a claim. Contact a personal injury lawyer. Slip and fall cases can be difficult to prove, and can be met with skepticism due to fraudulent claims. A personal injury attorney can evaluate your accident and present your case in the strongest possible light, giving you the best chance to get the money you deserve.
Should I Contact a Lawyer for a Slip and Fall Injury?
Find out if you have a slip and fall injury claim by answering the questions below:
- Did you either trip and/or slip on an object that resulted in an injury?
- Were you hospitalized from permanent injuries suffered from the slip and fall?
- Did slippery or wet surfaces cause the accident?
- Was there inadequate lighting surrounding the area?
- Were there warning signs in place?
- Is there a dispute regarding liability?
- Was something damaged or broken that led to your fall, i.e. rail loose, hallway, crack in step, etc.
- Did a hazardous area cause the slip and fall?
If a slip and fall accident has led to death, you may be entitled to a wrongful death lawsuit
Important: Time Limit to File Injury Claim
State law limits how long you have after an injury occurs until you file an injury claim. If you’ve been hurt in an accident or due to negligence, it’s critical you speak to a local personal injury lawyer as soon as possible, to see if you have a claim and can get money for your injuries, lost income, and medical bills.